Saturday, November 1, 2014

Caffeine-Free and Headache-Free

If giving up caffeine without experiencing headaches or too big of a fatigue is your Rome, then let me tell you that it can be built in a day. Now, the question is why would anyone want to give up their favorite caffeinated beverages, which apart from the energy boost that they provide, are also pretty delicious. I won't argue here in favor or against the health benefits of our top caffeinated drinks, coffee and tea. There are both pros and cons related to their consumption and, most importantly, the balance is always individually tilted for each of us, depending on many factors that we need to take into account.

However, taking a break from caffeine might prove to be beneficial.  I, for one, like to do this every once in a while because I am pretty sensitive to the effects of caffeine and I really enjoy rebooting my  response to it whenever I get the chance. I don't believe in reducing my daily caffeine intake gradually. It's supposed to help us cope with the withdrawal effects better, but honestly I still feel lightheaded and unable to focus. Apart from this, the entire withdrawal symptoms are prolonged as compared to just going caffeine free cold turkey. So, if I have to choose between a gradual or a radical approach to a decaffeinated lifestyle, I'd certainly opt for the latter. Until recently, I would just give up tea and coffee without doing anything that would alleviate the lack of energy and general dizziness that I would experience. I just bit the bullet, ignorant of the many effective caffeine replacements that would restore my usual relatively energetic self. 

So, without further ado, I will proceed now to outlining the structure of a typical caffeine-free day, emphasizing those moments when I would normally have a cup of tea or coffee, but choose instead caffeine-free energy boosters.

1. Waking up in the morning: ginseng drink (do not choose ginseng teas; they are not  nearly as efficient as a concentrated ginseng drink) 

2. Before work (which, in my case, amounts to reading and writing a lot): ginkgo biloba 

3. Before physical exercise: turmeric and cinnamon drink (the more concentrated, the better)

4. During physical exercise: coconut water

These drinks can be consumed anytime throughout the day, but I've noticed that for me they work the best in this format. Also, they might come in handy when your aim is to reduce and not completely give up caffeine.

Good luck, dear ones, and may caffeinated beverages be a pleasure and not a painfully unshakeable habit!



No comments:

Post a Comment